Seeking Community Development Officer
Posted on Tuesday January 19, 2021 at 12:23PM
The Town of Oxbow is seeking a new Community Development Officer for permanent, fulltime employment. Please submit your resume plus a cover letter stating your salary expectations to Lisa Pierce, Chief Administrative Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org . Application deadline is February 16, 2021. Start date to be determined.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
TOWN OF OXBOW
The Community Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for facilitating, promoting, and ensuring community and economic development to enhance the health and vitality of the community and secure opportunities for economic development. The CDO is responsible to the Chief Administrative Officer and will develop an annual plan of activities based on the Official Oxbow Community Plan/Strategic Plan, community input and recommendations of the CAO and Council, and complete monthly reporting of activities.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
Recreation, Tourism, Culture and Heritage, Quality of Life (50%)
- Act as Secretary / Administrator for the Oxbow & District Recreation Board
- Coordinate strategic planning, budgeting, and asset reports for 5 facilities
- Board liaison with Recreation Facilities Manager
- Maintain Book King Registration System
- Administer Sask Lottery Grants
- Develop procedures for committees as required
- Assist or manage fundraisers, workshops, and activities
- Develop and advance local recreational, cultural or heritage tourism programs, projects, and initiatives.
- Work with neighboring communities to develop regional tourism opportunities.
- Work with volunteers to develop community projects and initiatives that enhance the quality of life within Oxbow.
- Be the first point of contact for potential businesses developers.
- Maintain community profile and statistics related to the community.
- Recommend zoning and incentives to council in the context of business retention and attraction.
- Engage the business community, and work with local businesses/entrepreneurs and business organizations, as requested, to develop/expand business opportunities.
- Maintain the business database, forward information as appropriate and relevant to all businesses.
- Support the Oxbow Business Association to advance the mission of that organization.
- Act as Secretary / Administrator for the Oxbow Airport Authority.
Residential, Commercial, and Industrial Development (20%)
- Work with the CAO on land use development and permitting.
- Maintain housing information for the community; assess supply and demand to determine development needs.
- Assist in preparation of grants for major municipal initiatives.
Community Engagement, Promotion and Communications (20%)
- Work with local volunteer/community organizations to prepare appropriate strategic plans, identify needs, research, and apply for grants.
- Promote community activities and organizations through social and traditional media and CONNECT municipal information system.
- Manage and maintain the Town of Oxbow website.
- Manage social media accounts for the Town of Oxbow.
- With volunteers, organize community activities (July 1, Christmas in Oxbow, Volunteer Appreciation, etc.).
- Provide leadership at/make presentations to community events/organizations as requested.
Experience and Competencies
- Minimum three years of experience in a related field.
- Experience with strategic planning and business planning.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to research and successfully apply for grants.
- Experience with project coordination and event planning.
- Ability to network and build collaborative relationships.
- Passionate about communication.
- Ability to manage many competing demands in an organized way.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Desktop Publishing, Website and Social Media, Cloud-based Software
- Postsecondary degree/certificate in fields such as Community Development, Economic Development, Commerce or Local Government Administration. A combination of relevant experience and education in lieu of a degree/certificate will be considered.
- Willingness to pursue Local Government Administration certificate, plus additional training in community and economic development.
- Compensation is negotiable within the parameters of similar positions in Saskatchewan.
Author: Town of Oxbow
Comment on our article:
Posts By Date
- 2011 Financial Statement (1)
- Announcement (33)
- Article (2)
- Assessment (1)
- Community Development (25)
- Community Development Funding (7)
- Community Development Awards (1)
- Community Development Funding (3)
- Culture And Heritage (2)
- Fire (1)
- Fire Ban (2)
- Funding (10)
- Funding Announcement (7)
- General Information (35)
- Oxbow Economic Development Committee (1)
- Public Notice (19)
- Recycling (1)
- Rink (1)
- Services (3)
- Story By Mike Bartolf (1)
- Water (12)
- Zoning (1)